Tuesday, May 4, 2010

the next biggest loser?

if you know me at ALL you know that i am NOT a morning person. i absolutely hate hate haaaaaate waking up early and avoid it at all costs. in fact, i wake up for work at the last possible minute. alarm goes off at 720,i roll out of bed,and am out the door by 730 having brushed my teeth,hair(sometimes),thrown on some jeans and a tshirt/sweatshirt,and run out the door.

i'm hoping to change this. luckily,i've gotten some inspiration.

my work has started its own version of "the biggest loser"(a show i am a huge fan of and have watched for many years).basically we are weighed in weekly. for every pound you lose our "trainer" puts .50 into a jar. if you gain weight YOU put in .50 for every pound. after 6 months,the person who has lost the most weight wins all the money from the jar! there's probably 10-15 of us participating in this so that is (potentially) a good chunk of change.

my plan is to have my biggest meal in the morning, a medium lunch, and a small snack-like dinner. no carbs after lunch and no eating past 7.

i also have a work out plan that i'm trying to get into(this is where my goal to become a morning person comes in). wake up at 530(gaaaaahhhhhhhhh),consume a cup of coffee(sweetened by splenda), start a brisk walk by 6,finish brisk walk by 7,get ready/leave for work. i am fortunate enough to work right next to a HUGE walking track thing that i figured out i can walk around twice during my hour lunch period,so i plan on doing that every day. ALSO,i will do another walk at night when i get home from work. total walking time=about 2:15. total walking distance=about 7.5 miles. of COURSE i most likely won't do all three walks every day,there are some days i'm sure i won't sleep well the night before and will want to sleep in,or will be too tired after work,or have things i need to do during my lunch. my goal is to do at LEAST 2 of those walks a day,and attempting to do all 3 at least twice a week.

weekends are a whooole other story. my favorite weekend walk is to the end of the waterfront and back to my house which is about 6 miles. done and done. i will probably start to incorporate some muscle building work outs in a few weeks,but right now i'm just focusing on cardio.

i,of course, am not perfect. there are days when i'm going to want a cheeseburger,or chicken teriyaki, or pizza, and when i do,i will eat them. HOWEVER,it is all about moderation and portion control. if i eat a cheeseburger,maybe the next day i'll make sure i do all 3 walks,things like that,to make sure things balance out. now,if you see me in 3 months and i don't look any thinner to you or as thin as you thought i'd look-get over it. i,like gazillions(i counted) of americans have struggles,and maintaining my weight so i don't become a huge,fat blob of human has been one of mine. it may take me a short amount of time(if i stay super focused) or it may take me a longer amount of time(if i trail off a bit...),but eventually i will reach my goal.

i at first was hesitant on telling you guys about my mission because i don't want to be held accountable. it would actually probably irritate me if i went to a restaurant,ordered the greasiest burger and fries,then had whoever i was with say "oohhhhh,but what about biggest loser?????". i'm a grown up,i can make my own choices,refer to previous paragraph. i'm writing about this because this whole blog is about me and my life and this is going to be an important part of my life for a while.

i'm not going to give you pound by pound updates or post any pictures or anything,but i will periodically give an update if i reach a milestone or feel i am doing especially well or poorly. if anyone has any tips/suggestions i would LOVE to hear them! also,if you see something i'm doing terribly wrong that'd be good to know too,so feel free to email me: bonamie21@gmail.com

tomorrow is my very first attempt at waking up at 530 for my morning walk. i may or may not be dead at the end of the day...i guess we'll see! wish me luck! no dying,ftw!

good luck to all my fellow coworkers! in a few months we'll be the (even more) hotttttest center around :)

No comments: