Friday, May 14, 2010

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

georgia on my mind
Current mood: chipper



so i just got back from my weekend in Georgia! it was everything amazing rolled into one!! here is a little picture diary i made for your viewing pleasure:

Me and my parents left for the airport at 3:30 AM (GAG) on Friday for our 6 o'clock flight. I usually prefer to sit in the aisle but I was fortunate enough to get a window view so I could capture this:



and this, which is actually Mt. Hood(the tiny peak on the left), Mt.Rainier(the main mountain in the pic), and Mt. Saint Helens(on the far right):



we landed in Atlanta and while we were waiting for our flight to Savannah (our final destination) who do I happen to see but my Aunt, Uncle, their kids, my grandma and grandpa walking towards us!! They flew in from Minnesota and happened to be on the same flight as us!!

We landed in Savannah, rented a car and drove to one of the two beach houses our family had rented for the week which was actually on Tybee Island, about a half hour out of Savannah. I stepped inside this house and was AMAZED at how huge it was! There were three floors, the bottom floor basically being it's own little house in itself, and every bedroom (with the exception of the one me and my sister stayed in) was a master bedroom with it's own bathroom.

the house:



the room that me and my sister were so VERY privledged to stay in was dubbed "The Princess Room"...as you can see...

our princess beds:



our princess dresser:



The tv completed the whole package. Cinderella would show up when you would change the channel and Ariel swam across the screen when you changed the volume. Awesome.

Friday night we just basically hung out and recovered from flying and losing three hours of our lives.

Saturday we went to the BEACH!!!!!!! Our house was just a couple blocks away from the beach. I was very excited cause 1: i LOVE the beach and 2 i had never been in the Atlantic Ocean before! It was a beautiful day! (i think that dude walking on the beach is my uncle...)



We ate at a few places on Tybee Island including Bahama Bobs and Sting Rays...neither of which was very good...at Sting Rays they gave us Splenda packets to add our own sugar to our sweet tea which I'm pretty sure is blasphamy. I also learned that you should not expect it to take less than one half hour to get your food. On this island everything is slloowwww and relaaaaxed...there's no hurry to get anywhere or do anything. Which is nice. Except for when you're hungry. But who was I to complain?

Saturday night most of our family (about 12 of us) went on a Haunted Pub Crawl of Savannah. Basically what you do is you go from pub to pub with a tour guide who tells you all these b.s. stories about "ghosts" who are residing in these pubs. It's called a "crawl" because by the time you get to the last bar you are crawling from all the drinks you had.

me and my sister on the way to Savannah for the pub crawl(BEFORE):



our tour guide...who sounded like he was from ireland/georgia/britain...but really he was from boston:



I saw a ghost in the window!! her name is Anna!



my cousin Nikki, me and my sister at one of the first pubs:



kind of in the middle/end of the pub crawl (AFTER)...clearly we are totally sober:



At the end of the night we were all hungry so we ate at the pub our tour had started at. It was at this pub my aunt at some very questionable nachos (sperm nachos anyone???)...



All in all it was a pretty fantastic night and major thanks to my uncles for hooking me and my cousin and sister up with our drinks all night.

Sunday was my cousins wedding, which was actually the reason we were in Georgia to begin with. Him and his lady had been together for TEN years! and he's the same age as me!! That is very rare and awesome. Their wedding took place on the beach right next to a pier and by some hotels where there were lots of spectators!!

me and my sister waiting for the wedding to start:



Paparazzi obviously recognizing all the celebrities that exist in one family, observing the wedding:



Mr. and Mrs. Travis Ottoson!



their cake!!...the seashells were actually made out of sugar! how rad!



the view from the pier where the spectators were, and where the reception was held:



me and my grandma look like we're vacationing in Hawaii(maybe next time!!)



The next day, Monday, me and my family all went out to breakfast at a restaurant called The Breakfast Club. The food was SO good. I have a soft spot in my heart for southern cooking from when I lived in Oklahoma and this definately fulfilled my craving!
After breakfast it was time for me to pack my bags, say good bye to my family and leave Georgia. It was a wonderful trip, I had a wonderful time and hopefully I'll get to go back again soon and experience things I didn't get to...like eating at Lady and Sons(Paula Deen's of Food Network fame restaurant), the Crab Shack, and a Haunted Carriage Ride.

No comments: